Associate Legal Officer (Two Posts), P2 U.N.Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights 崗位領域：法律 工作性質：長期工作 學歷要求：本科及以上 崗位職級：P2 工作地點：Geneva 截止日期：06 April , 2019 崗位信息網址：https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=110458&Lang=en-US 職位描述 Org. Setting and
工作地點：Geneva 截止日期：06 April , 2019
Org. Setting and Reporting
These two positions are located within the Collection, Analysis and Sharing Section (CASS) of the International, Impartial and Independent Mechanism to assist in the Investigation and Prosecution of Persons Responsible for the Most Serious Crimes under International Law Committed in the Syrian Arab Republic since March 2011 (IIIM). The incumbents will be under the overall direction of the Head of the IIIM and the Deputy Head of the IIIM, and under the direct supervision of the P4 Coordinator of Legal Analysis (Legal Officer).
Within delegated authority, the Associate the Legal Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Conducts legal research on a diverse range of substantive and procedural issues relating to international and domestic criminal law and other area(s) of specialization using multiple research sources; selects relevant material, analyzes information and presents findings for internal review.
- Assists in the review of evidence, legal documents, instruments, or other material; identifies important issues, similarities and inconsistencies, etc.
- Assists in the preparation of drafts of briefs, background papers, reports, correspondence, etc.
- Assists in the preparation of legal opinions/advice on a wide range of issues, including the United Nations Charter and General Assembly resolutions and decisions.
- Assesses the relevance or admissibility of evidence gathered by investigators, as well as whether the evidence collected proves the elements of the offences being considered.
- Assists in the preparation of agreements and contracts with other UN entities, international organizations, governments, and NGOs.
- Assists in representing the Organization before other UN entities, international organizations, governments, and NGOs, as needed.
- Assists in providing legal advice on related matters and participates and supports with investigative activities, including in interviews of witnesses and suspects, as needed.
- Assists Legal Officers in servicing internal working groups.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of, and ability to apply, legal principles, concepts and procedures and terminology for review, examination, and processing of a range of legal documents. knowledge of international criminal law and the functioning of criminal investigations and prosecutions at the national and/or international levels. Knowledge of various legal research sources, including electronic, and ability to conduct research and analyze information on a wide range of legal issues. Ability to interpret and apply legislative instruments, develop and present results, recommendations, and opinions clearly and concisely. Ability to draft legal papers and work under pressure. Ability to apply good legal judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
An Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent degree) in law, criminal law, international law or related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
A first-level university degree and no experience will be accepted for candidates who have passed the Young Professionals Programme Examination/United Nations National Competitive Recruitment Examination (NCRE) or the General Service to Professional Examination (G to P).
A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in law, including legal analysis, research and writing. (No experience is required for candidates who have passed a United Nations Competitive Recruitment Examination). Prior work experience as a prosecutor with an international court or tribunal, or as a national prosecutor dealing with core international crimes, is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required; knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by competency-based interview.
Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
The appointment or assignment and renewal are subject to the availability of the post or funds, budgetary approval or extension of the mandate.
Pursuant to section 7.11 of ST/AI/2012/2/Rev.1, candidates recruited through the young professionals programme who have not served for a minimum of two years in the position of their initial assignment are not eligible to apply to this position.